Friday, August 21, 2009

Real Life Leadership Situations..Kya aap bhi Procrastinator hai?


Though I knew about my abilities from the early days but could not do any path breaking things in life.Apart from all the other limitations the most important one was off course was Procrastination.

For a better of my education and till first few years in career I almost self nominated myself as the Lifetime President of World Procrastination Association.

For many it is a hitherto unknown term in some English dictionary but for me it was nothing short a life threatening and growth stopping disease.

For those who have woken just now Procrastination is a behavior which is characterized by the deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite procrastination as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision.
Psychology researchers also have three criteria they use to categorize procrastination. For a behavior to be classified as procrastination, it must be as they say counterproductive, needless, and delaying.

I was dead sure because of this "leech" I would have sufferred for the rest of my life.

To medicate myself I took the help of many self help books but the moment I finish the book I started lazing around and I was back on square one.

It was such a blood sucking disease that no matter how many times I have motivated myself I could not get myself out of it or rather I could get it out of me!!

To start something good which will give me growth and happiness,the first thing which came to my psyche was why not do it on a Monday or rather on the 1st of the month or rather on the New year..in this way differment was the name of the game.

Psychologists often cite procrastination as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision. Psychology researchers also have three criteria they use to categorize procrastination. For a behavior to be classified as procrastination, it must be counterproductive, needless, and delaying and I was sure my sympotons were perfectly matching.

Surprisingly it were not big things which were delayed by me but errands like paying the bills,going for hair cut,getting the Pollution Under Control test done for my car...everything I used to postpone till the time I was not forced by the situation to get the things done.I have paid not only through my nose monetarily but also wasted significant years of my life.

To get rid of this disease I have invested time for "Eat the Frog" and started eating so called bigger and ugly frogs but the craze lasted for few days or maximum a month.

I even thought of getting myself a session with a psychologist who can take my brain out,wipe of all the bad memories and fear of unknown,etc from my subconscious mind, which I realized were the causes of same.

Alas I being the Lifetime President of World Procrastination Associate why should I move my butt towards anything..for that matter psychologist ..first postpone and then forget it ..

However I must admit the status quo resulted in lot of stress, a sense of guilt, the loss of personal productivity, the creation of crisis and disapproval from others for not fulfilling one's responsibilities or commitments. These combined feelings acted as force multiplier and further promoted more procrastination. I learnt that though it is normal for people to procrastinate to some degree, it becomes a problem when it impedes normal functioning. Chronic procrastination may be a sign of an underlying psychological or physiological disorder.

Finally I started writing down what ever actions need to be initiated by me and on completion of each activity would strike them same out.This made me feel better and started pampering myself on each achievement.
After from this I have put the fear of being called as "Living Failure"in my subconscious mind which in due course started acting on my conscious mind and flesh and blood body.

Yes I am improving ....but am I immune to Procrastination...Yes I have ...

Actually I have started delaying Procrastination itself.

Beware it is around everywhere...Are you infected ??

Take a test yourself..write down five things which you have not acted in last one week..yes you might be thinking one week..that's normal...but never know when it stretches to one month...six month...one year ...lo the new year is around the corner..you are thinking you will start acting on these delayed adventures as New Year Resolutions...Good...No...Bad.....You are suffering from Procrastination..

According to Dr. Linda Sapadin there are six types of procrastination that a person can be solely or a combination of. The styles are
1)The Perfectionist
2)The Crisis-Maker
3)The Dreamer
4)The Defier
5)The Worrier and
6)The Overdoer.

What is your style Sirji??

No comments: